28/08/2008

"A New Cold War? Piffle! A war involves guns; loss of life, blood and misery not two geopolitical giants flexing their muscles"

I'm not one to comment on politics as usually what I say is slightly unfounded and I end up looking like a pig-headed moron; however this has all changed with regards to the unfolding situation with Russia and Georgia. Now obviously what has happened in this situation is politically and morally wrong but I can't help but wonder why the British press perpetuate the idea that any kind of negative relations with Russia will end up reigniting the staid embers of the Cold War. I have fairly strong views on the Cold War and it infuriates me that any harsh words said to the former Soviet Republic is nearly always result in this worry-mongering rubbish. I mean come on ... A New Cold War? Piffle! A war involves guns; loss of life, blood and misery not two geopolitical giants flexing their muscles which is essentially all the Cold War was about aside from the proxy wars which were fun for no one. To me, the Cold War was basically two school children fighting over who is better/who has more Pogs/who can run fastest but instead of happening on a playground in a suburban town it is instead played out on the world stage; on every news channel and every internet news website. If the Cold War does turn out to be a 'proper' war with fighting and helicopters and a corny Hollywood movie in 30 years time then that is when to be seriously worried. But seeing who can get to space first, build more weapons and spy on each other more isn't really as big a threat as someone dropping a nuclear bomb over your house.

With regard to my last post, I'm not the greatest blogger in the world and I rarely take to this blog unless bored and/or feeling opinionated; the resulting post being a mixture of both.

No comments: